Item
This list touches mainly on the shipbuilding business carried on by John Townshend and his sons, mainly Robert and John, in Chamcook, and mainly in connection with the extensive shipbuilding business carried on there by John and Edward Wilson. Some mention is also made of the Mountain House, built by James Wilson, a son of James Townend, and later purchased by Phipps Ross and renamed Rossmount.
Standard
Nov 18, 1837
Launched on Wednesday last from the ship yard of John Wilson at Chamcook, a beautiful Ship built by the Messrs. Townshend for Messrs. Edward and Joseph Wilson of this town, named the "Wilson," her register according to the new mode of measurement being 565 tons. The "Wilson" was launched into the capacious Wet Dock which forms part of the extensive establishment of Chamcook, and afforded an interesting spectacle to a numerous assemblage drawn together, to witness this sight amongst such picturesque scenery.
Standard
December 15, 1838
Launched at Garcelon's Yards, Oak Bay, a Barque named the "Vidilla." Of about 20 tons, built by the Messrs. Townshends for Messrs. Scott and Garnett
Standard
Oct 26, 1839
Launched on Thursday last, from the ship yard at Chamcook, a fine ship called the Coronet, 870 tons new measurement, copper fastened, built by Mr. R. Townshend, for John Wilson
Launched this day from the same yard a handsome ship called the Provincialist, 890 tons, new measurement, copper fastened, built by Messrs. J. and J. Townshend, for Messrs. e and j Wilson.
These two splendid ships are said to be the largest ever built in this County, and for beauty of model superior finish and strength of build, are not surpassed in the Province.
Standard
Oct 23, 1840
Launched at Chamcook, on the same day, from the ship years, a noble Barque which received the name of the "Britannia," on entering her native element; measure 530 tons, and it is said she is the best vessel ever built by the Messrs. Townshends, whose characters as builders is too well known to require any eulogium from our pen. She is coppered and copper fastened, and is owned by John Wilson, Esquire, of this town.
Standard
July 1, 1846
Died
At his residence at Chamcook, on Thursday, the 25th ult., Mr. John Townshend, ship builder, aged 65. Mr. Townshend was born in the town of Mary-Port, England, and came to this country about 30 years ago, with the late George Thomson, of St. John, which eminent shipwright he assisted in building the first vessel that scientific man built in this province. Mr. T. ranked high in his calling, and as a man was highly esteemed by all who knew him. He has left an affectionate wife and a numerous family, with a large and respectable circle of other relatives and friends to mourn over their bereavement.
Standard
Oct 7/1846
Launched at the building yard at Chamcook, on Saturday last, a beautifully modeled and substantial built copper fastened vessel, named the Ocean Queen, of 450 tons, news measurement. This ship was built by Messrs. J. and R. Townshend, for William Whitlock, Esq. and others, and adds another laurel to the fame of the Messrs. Townshends as ship builders. She was immediately afterwards towed into the harbour by the Steamer Nequasset.
Standard
Dec 22, 1847
Launched at Chamcook on Tuesday 21st from the building yard a substantial built and well finished Barque called the "Strang," of 418 tons new measurement. This vessel reflects credit upon her builders Messrs. J. and R. Townshend. We wish her enterprising owners Messrs. J. and R. Jarvis success.
Standard
Sept 30, 1848
Launched
From the building yard of Messrs. e and j Wilson, on Thursday last, a beautifully modeled, thoroughly finished, and substantially built ship of 844 tons, which on entering her future element was named the Salacia. The day being fine, a large number of persons assembled, to witness the launch of this noble vessel, which glided gracefully into the water, amidst the cheers of the spectators. She is principally built of the best hackmatac and pitch pine, and copper fastened. The following are her dimensions, length on deck 151 feet—breadth of beam 33 feet 9 inches—depth of hold 21 feet 8 inches. This vessel has been pronounced by competent judges to be a perfect specimen of naval architecture, and one of the most faithfully built ships in the Province; adding another laurel to the well-earned name of the Messrs. Townshends as builders. She is owned by those enterprising merchants Messrs. Edward and Joseph Wilson, of this Town.
Standard
Oct 7, 1848
Launched at the Lower Falls, St. George, from the building yard on Thursday last, a splendid ship of 912 tons, O. M. named the El Dorado, built by Mr. William Townshend for Daniel Gilmore. She is pronounced a well built , well finished, handsome ship, and reflect great credit upon the master builder.
Standard
Jan 30, 1850
New Ship for Sale
For sale a ship on the stocks, at Chamcook, near St. Andrews, of about 630 to 700 tons, old measurement, built by Messrs. John and Robert Townshend. This ship can be made ready to launch in four weeks. Her length on deck is 142 feet; her breadth of beam is 32 feet 9 inches, and her depth of hold 21 feet 4 inches. She is essentially copper fastened; has a half poop, round, and forward house, and a topgallant forecastle. The masts, spars, blocks, etc., and iron work for the rigging and spars together with a set of copper fastened boats, will also be furnished. The terms of payment will be liberal, on approved security. For further particulars, apply to the builders, Messrs. John and Robert Townshend, Chamcook, or to Dimock and Wilson, St. Andrews. Jan.15th, 1850.
Standard
April 3, 1850
Deaths
At Chamcook, on the 30th ult., William Rueben, second son of Mr. Robert Townsend, aged 10 years and 10 months.
New Ship for Sale
For sale a ship on the stocks, at, Chamcook, near St. Andrews, of about 650 to 700 tons, old measurement, built by Messrs. John and Robert Townshend.
This ship can be made ready to launch in four weeks. Her length on deck is 142 feet; her breadth of beam is 32 feet 9 inches, and her depth of hold 21 feet 4 inches. She is essentially copper fastened; has a Half Poop, Round, and Forward House, and a Topgallant Forecastle. The Masts, Spars, Blocks, etc., and Iron work for the rigging and pars together with a set of copper fastened boats, will also be furnished.
The terms of payment will be liberal, on approved security.
For further particulars, apply to the builders, Messrs. John and Robert Townshend, Chamcook, to Dimock and Wilson, St. Andrews.
Jan 15th, 1850
Standard
Aug 6, 1856
Launched on Saturday last from the building yard at Indian Point, a first-class ship, called the "Lady Milton" of 900 tons new measurement, 944 O.M. Built by Messrs. Townshend and Short, under Lloyd's Inspector, for Messrs. Dimock and Wilson. The day being fine, a large concourse of people witnessed the noble vessel glide from the ways into the water in gallant style, where the steamer Queen, and a large number of boats were sailing about. The Lady Milton is pronounced by judges to be well built and fastened; and is a fine specimen of naval architecture, adding another laurel to the fame of her builders. We hope soon to see another vessel on the stock, in the same yard, under Messrs. Townshend and Short's direction, for the same enterprising owners.
Standard
Dec 3/1856
Launch
On the 27th ult., a fine ship of 985 tons carpenter's tonnage, and 985 tons register; named the "Nell Gwynn," was launched from the shipyard of Mr. John Townshend, at Chamcook. The N. G. is beautifully modelled, and built of the best materials, under Lloyd's special survey. She was towed into this harbour the same evening, where she will receive her outfit.--Provincialist
Standard
Sept 30/1863
Shipbuilding—this branch of business we are happy to state is becoming brisk in this locality which presents unequalled advantages for its successful prosecution. Mr. Anderson, in addition to his other in course of construction, has laid the keel for a large ship within a few days, and is shortly to commence a vessel of 1400 tons. Mr. O. B. Rideout has also commenced building a large vessel. the Messrs. Townsend are getting a ship frame down by rail which is to be set up and built in their yard at Chamcook, during the next few months. These vessels, with Mr. Whitlock's, Mr. A. Cookson's, and Peacock's and Berry's ships, give employment to a large number of men. It has been acknowledged by men of judgement and large experience, who have visited St. Andrews, that it possesses superior advantages for ship building. Mr. Rideout has been building ships for 25 years.
Standard
July 6/1864
St. Andrews Businesses
R and R Townsend, Chamcook. Shipwrights. 1852
Shipyard at Chamcook. John and Robert Townsend. 1853
St. Croix Courier
Nov 25/1880
Obituary
By the death of Mr. Robert Townshend, at Chamcook, on Sunday last, one of the old landmarks of the town and parish of St. Andrews has passed away. The father of the deceased who was a shipwright, came to Saint John , New Brunswick, from England about sixty three years ago, where he went to work at his trade,; he sent home for his wife and family with whom, shortly after hey arrived, he went to Indian island, Charlotte county, where he built him a residence and engaged in shipbuilding, from Indian island he removed to St. Andrews, and established a shipyard at the Point, and built a residence now standing on the corner of Water and Ernest Streets. [vacant yard Salty Towers; see 1878 map] the deceased, Robert Townshend, got a contract to finish a vessel on the stocks at Chamcook, this led to his taking contracts to build ships for the late John Wilson, Esq., he associated with himself, his brother John, who under the firm of Robert and John Townshend, carried on an extensive shipbuilding operations at Chamcook for a number of years, principally under contract for Mr. Wilson. They bought themselves farms and built residences and settled down at Chamcook, in which they have resided for forty years, and where Mr. John Townshend still lives. The deceased. Mr. R. Townshend was held in high estimation by his friends and neighbors, was a man of fine social qualities, genial and kindhearted. An aged widow, two sons and two daughters survive him.
Beacon
Nov 7/1889
Rapid progress is being made on the Townsend cottage at Chamcook. The building is now in frame, and gives promise of being a handsome as well as substantial structure.
Beacon
May 8, 1890
A Charming Cottage
How Mr. Townsend has disposed of the Chamcook Ghost
Nestling beneath the shadow of Chamcook Mountain, within a few minutes drive of St. Andrews, reposes one of the handsomest private residences in Charlotte County. A year ago the site was occupied by a deserted, dilapidated building, which was know along the countryside as "The Haunted House." Mr. James A. Townsend, of Brooklyn, who owns the property, reached the conclusion last season that the most effectual way of "laying" the ghost was to pull down its old habitation and build a new house where the old one stood. And he has carried out his determination in no niggardly manner, as the new cottage is really a most charming one in every respect.
On the first day of last September ground was broken for the foundation. Ten days later, Mr. Levi Handy, sr., had his men at work on the foundation walls. It was probably a month after that date when Mr. Walter lane of Saint John, began the erection of the superstructure. Now, it is almost completed, and is in the Queen Anne style of architecture. It is constructed of wood, and has three habitable floors in the main building. A broad verandah runs around three sides of the building. This verandah is ten feet only a casual glance to show that the work has been done well.
The cottage is an adaptation of the wide, and its total length around the house I 270 feet. An easy stairway brings the visitor into a commodious vestibule, beyond which there is a hall twelve feet in width.
An old-fashioned fireplace, with tiled hearth, is built on one side of the hall. On the right side of the lower hall are the parlors, each of which are about 15 x 20 feet. There will be folding doors between. On the left the first room is the reception room, (14 x 16 feet) which is quite comfortable looking, being provided with a beautiful mantel and fireplace. Adjoining this is the dining room, 24 x 16 feet. In addition to two large windows, there is also a stained glass window to be inserted in this room, which will enhance the effect very much. Between the kitchen and the dining room is the butler's room. The kitchen is large and dairy. It is provided with a large range, hot and cold water taps, stationary wash tube, and all other necessary conveniences. Attached to the kitchen is commodious pantry. At the extremity of the hallway, with doors opening into the hall and kitchen and out on the verandah, is the smoking room.
A broad stair, with handsome pine steps and walnut baluster, leads to the second floor, where ht sleeping rooms are located. On either side of the hall are two large rooms, with dressing room attached. In front, with a door opening on to a small verandah, the most charming boudoir that a woman's heart cold wish for. The view from this part of the house is really sublime, embracing as it does all the eastern waters of Passamaquoddy By with its numerous islands, forming a complete archipelago.
The servant' room and bath room are located on the second floor, and from the former there is a rear stairway leading to the kitchen. Four other large sleeping rooms, with a good change for a fifth, in case of an emergency, are on the third floor.
The house, both outside and inside, is well finished. There is no slipshod work anywhere from cellar to garret. The outside clapboards are nailed upon matched boards which, it is claimed, will make the house floor on the first story will be composed of narrow tongued and grooved birch boards. Electric bells are located everywhere throughout the house, all the wires leading to the kitchen. The bell in the dining room is on the floor, in such a position that ht mistress can press the button with her foot. There are stained lights in several of the window, which will heighten the effect very much. The body of the building will be painted a straw color, and the trimmings a light brown. The room will have a maroon tint. An artesian well is to be sunk on the slope of the hill a few rods above the house. An abundant supply of water is looked for, with sufficient pressure to carry it anywhere in the building.
Nearly all the work about the house has been carried on by Saint John men. Mr. Walter Lane was the contractor. The plastering and chimney work was done by Messr. B. Mooney and Sons, the painting by Mr. Robert Barbour, the stir building by Mr. E. V Wetmore and the plumbing by Mr. James H. Doody, while Mr. Hedley V. Cooper has acted as superintendent. The cottage will cost in the vicinity of $12,000.
Beacon
June 25/1891
If anyone is in need of an elegant residence, with a mountain and abundance of magnificent scenery thrown in, they should read Mr. James A. Townsend's advertisement in this issue. Mr. Townsend is desirous of selling the palatial residence which he recently erected at Chamcook and also Chamcook Mountain, which forms part of the property. This is a chance that investors do not meet with every day.
Beacon
Aug 18, 1892
Mr. John Townsend, of Chamcook, who has been lying at death's door for two or three weeks past, passed away on Friday. His funeral took place on Sunday and was largely attended. In the old ship-building days at Chamcook, Mr. Townsend followed that business, but of late years he has been engaged in farming. He was over 85 years old. He had always maintained the respect and esteem of those who knew him. One of his sons, Mr. James Townsend, is a successful businessman in New York, having large repairing docks there. Ms. Robert Ross is a sister of the deceased.
Beacon
May 20/1897
Among the Hotels
Best hotels in province: St. Andrews—Algonquin and Kennedy's; Chamcook, Townsend Cottage; Grand Manan, Marathon House; St. Stephen, Windsor Hotel; Woodstock, Carlisle Hotel; Fred, Queen Hotel; Saint John , Royal Hotel, Dufferin Hotel.
The "mountain retreat" at Chamcook, advertised by Mr. and Mrs. Hans Johnson, is one of the loveliest spots in the world. Behind it, Chamcook Mountain rears its lofty crest, commanding an unexampled view of bay, and river, lake and forest. In front, Passamaquoddy bay is spread before the eye with all its wealth of island and headland, while at its elbow, Chamcook lake, the abiding place of millions of trout and salmon, nestles in the bosom of the eternal hills. It is an ideal summer retreat.
Beacon
June 10/1897
Summer Cottages
The Townsend cottage at Chamcook Mountain promises to be a very popular resort. Ms. Thomas Williams and family, of Moncton, will spend a portion of the summer there, and others are negotiating for rooms.
Beacon
Nov 13, 1902
The well known Townsend property at Chamcook, which includes a magnificent residence and the famous Chamcook Mountain, is now owned by Rev. Henry Phipps Ross, of Taunton, Mass., Mr. Ross having come here on Tuesday to consummate the transfer. Mr. James Townsend, of New York, was the former owner of the property. The transfer was effected through Mr. B. F. DeWolfe, the agent of Mr. Townsend. The price has not been disclosed.
Beacon
April 23/1903
Rev. Phipps Ross and wife, of Taunton, Mass., are now occupying " Rossmount" (formerly Mountain House) 'Chamcook of the season. Mr. Ross proposes improving the property in many respects.
Beacon
July 13, 1905
Ocean Prize Yacht Built by St. Andrews Man
It is not everybody knows that the schooner yacht Atlantic which recently won Emperor William's cup for trans-Atlantic sailing, was built by a native of St. Andrews. Mr. James A. Townsend, formerly of Chamcook, was the builder of this splendid vessel. She was constructed on the same blocks as the Kaiser's famous schooner yacht, and was as fine a type of vessel as could be built. The New York Sun, in its report of the great race, says "The Atlantic won the race because she is a good boat, well built, scientifically balanced and has power to drive her fast in all weathers." This surely high praise for the builder, but no more than he is deserving of.
History of Journalism in St. Andrews
Paper Read Before Canadian Lit. Club by R. E. Armstrong
Feb 10, 1910
(continued from last week)
THE CHARLOTTE GAZETTE
The Charlotte Gazette made its bow to the public on the 10th of June, 1846. The Standard bidding the newcomer welcome, said: "It forms a respectable addition to the periodical literature of the Province." The paper continued for a number of years. John McLachlan, a Scotchman, was its publisher. He died I am informed in 1854 or 1855. William Gibson, afterwards stationmaster at Woodstock, was foreman. Mr. McLachlan lived in a house which stood upon the stie of the present summer residence of Rev. H. Phipps Ross, immediately under the shadow of Chamcook Mountain. This house was the scene of a tragedy; his housekeeper having been burned to death within its walls. After the tragedy McLachlan deserted the house and for years it stood along and abandoned upon the mountain side. It was alleged that on the anniversaries of the woman's death weird, uncanny noises would be heard proceeding from it. It got the reputation for being "a haunted house," and as such it was known for many years. The house stood until Mr. James Townsend removed it to make room for the present stately building. With the removal the old housekeeper's ghost seemed to have been effectually laid for nobody has seen or heard of any spooks in that locality since that time.
Beacon
Aug 10/1905
Details of improvements at Rossmount. New barn with dwelling for coachmen and farm superintendent to be built at "Rossmount."
St. Croix Courier
April 1, 1943
Shiretown Items
Chamcook of Other Days
A century ago, the village of Chamcook was a thriving ship-building centre, had two or three saw-mills, a grist mill and a paper mill. The prosperity of Chamcook at that time was chiefly owing to the enterprise of one man, John Wilson, after whose death at the age of 70 years on April 1st, 1855, the place began gradually to decline. The following extract from Mr. Wilson's obituary in the St. Andrews paper shows the important position he held in the community and how his loss would affect its prosperity.
"Mr. Wilson has been engaged in mercantile and other pursuits in this county for more than 30 years and such was the diversity of his business transactions, embracing almost every occupation incident to the country, that he kept a great number of men in constant employ. As a merchant he had few equals, well acquainted with markets of the world, entirely familiar with the trade and resources of the province, energetic and temperate, always active and persevering, he seldom undertook a work that he did not complete. He devoted the whole powers of his mind to the construction of the St. Andrews-Quebec Railroad."
Mr. Wilson operated several sawmills on Chamcook stream as well as a grist-ill, where wheat flour, buckwheat and oatmeal were manufactured. Also, and most interesting of all, he owned and operated a paper mill, near the present site of Rankin's sawmill. On this paper was printed the St. Andrews Herald, and the following advertisement appears in the issue of Feb. 5th. 1827, "Wanted,—an apprentice to the paper-making business. Apply to the mill at Chamcook or the Herald office." Mr. Wilson built a beautiful stone house on the site now occupied by the Grimmer residence. This house was destroyed by fire in 1882. The present generation will remember the grist mill which tumbled down and was removed just a few year ago. It was used for many years by Davidson Grimmer.
The two-story building still standing on the Glebe road over the Chamcook stream was the Dimick and Wilson store, and no doubt at one time did a thriving business. There was a brickyard at Chamcook at one time, but whether during Mr. Wilson's residence there or at a later period, is not now known. It was situated outside the dock gates adjacent to the shipyard. Its location can be easily found today by the bricks scattered around. But the most important industry carried on in Mr. Wilson's time was shipbuilding. At an early date the inner harbour at Chamcook was converted into a dock from which the tide could be shut out. A dam with gates was built, the remains of which can still be seen at half-tide. A flume was constructed which carried the water from the mill stream outside the dock gates. There were two sets of these, out and inner, and the gates were controlled by water pressure. Many ships were repaired in this dock. It is known to have been in operation in 1842 as a bill for repairs on the structure is still existence.
Closely associated with John Wilson in the ship-building industry was John Townshend and his four sons. The Townshends had been operating a yard at St. Andrews near Indian Point and were brought to Chamcook by Wilson to finish a ship on the stocks there. They remained there and carried on an extensive business for many years, chiefly under contract with Wilson. At a later date two of the sons were business partners, and Charles Short, when a young man, was employed by them and later became their master builder. Short in 1854 built the Homeward Bound, a ship of 594 tons, at Digdeguash. For some years William Townshend and Charles Short were partners, during which period they built the Lady Milton. The account with Dimick and Wilson re the building of this ship is still in existence.
Another record in an old-time book says that Townshend and Short commenced work on the new ship, Even Star, Sept. 4th, 1855, at Indian Point. The Townshends operated three yards in Chamcook. There were two sets of blocks on what is known as the Public Landing, where the Priestman cottage now stands. William built on the east side of the stream, these two yards being inside the dock. A third yard was situated on the west side of the harbour just outside the dock. People still living can remember the remains of the old bed logs in these locations. I have a list of some of the ships built at Chamcook which I shall send in next week.
St. Croix Courier
April 8/1943
Shiretown Items
Old Ships
Following is a list of old ship's authentic records of which are still in existence, most of them having been built at Chamcook and St. Andrews.
- Princess Victoria, ship, 561 tons. Built at St. Andrews, 1832, by J. Townshend.
- Wilson, ship, 565 tons. Built at Chamcook, 1837, by J. R. Townshend. Sold Grenock.
- Coronet, ship, 870 tons. Built at Chamcook by John Wilson, 1839. Sold Dublin, 1847.
- Provincialist, ship, 880 tons. Built 1839 at Chamcook by Ed. Wilson.
John Moore, ship, 730 tons. Built at Chamcook 1841. Sold Liverpool, 1842.
William Bayard, ship, 802 tons. Built 1844 at Chamcook by John Wilson.
Alice Wilson, ship, 990 tons. Built 1847 at Chamcook, by John Wilson. Sold Liverpool.
Strang, bark, 418 tons. Built 1848 at St. Andrews, by J. and R. Townshend. Townshends and Steven Jarvis owners.
Silecia, bark, 844 tons. Built at St. Andrews, 1848, by J. Wilson. Owners Joseph and Edward Wilson
Cornelia, ship, 703 tons. Built at St. Andrews 1849, by J. and R. Townshend. Owners Robert Rankine and Townshends.
Isabella Stuart, ship, 643 tons. Built 1845 at Brandy Cove, by J. and R. Townshend.
Rienzl, ship, 912 tons. Built at St. Andrews, 1854, by J. and R. Townshend. Owner Robert Rankine, Dublin. Hail, Dublin 1868.
Lady of the lake, bark, 458 tons. Built at Chamcook by Townshends, 1840 Sailed many years between St. Andrews and Great Britain with Thomas Smith, Master.
Loodianah, ship, 915 tons. Built 1846 at St. Andrews by e and j Wilson, also owners.
Black Swan, ship, 896 tons. Built 1855, at St. Andrews by John Wilson (his last ship).
Anaconda, bark, 169 tons, Built 1856 at Chamcook. Thomas B. Wilson, owner.
Lammergier, ship, 703 tons. Built 1857 at St. Andrews by Bradford. Thomas Wilson owner.
Eldorado, ship, 977 tons. Built 1846 at St. George, by William Townshend and John Billings. Owned by Daniel Gilmore. Lloyds agent stated the Eldorado was one of the best colonial ships he had ever inspected (record in old time-book).
Virginia, brig, 193 tons. Built at St. Andrews 1856, by William Townshend. Hector MacKenzie owner.
Robert Ross, schooner, 128 tons. Built 1873 at St. Andrews by Townshends (their last ship).
Nell Gwyn, ship, 938 tons. Launched Nov. 27th, 1856. Owner Ed. Wilson.
Nellie Townshend, bark, 399 tons. Built at Chamcook. Launched Aug. 18th, 1864. Owner James W. Street.
Lady Milton, 903 tons. Built at St. Andrews 1856 by William Townshend and Charles short. Owners Ed. Wilson, St. Andrew and Joseph Wilson, Liverpool. Sold to Henry Barton, Liverpool, Feb. 1857.
Chimaera, brig, 205 tons. Built at Chamcook, 1859, by William Townshend. Owner Jas. W. Street.
Black Duck, 253 tons. Built 1856. Owner Robert Townshend, sold to George W. Houghton, Liverpool.
Courier
May 21/1980
Ross Museum opens (officially) Saturday. Rossmount originally residence of Townshend shipbuilding family of Chamcook. Called Mountain House. Renamed Rossmount in 1902 by Rosses of States. Museum early 1900's? Georgian building, built by Hatches. Purchased by G. H. Mowatt 1920 as pottery and called Chestnut Hall. Sold to H. P. Ross in 1938. Contains 10 paintings by G. Horne Russell, Ross's art teacher.
St. Croix Courier
June 30/1992
Rossmount changes hands. Original building 1889 by James Townsend of Brooklyn. Ross's purchase 1902. Renamed Rossmount. Burned 1960. New building built on old foundation, with original chimneys and front steps. Carriage house also built 1889. Barn 1750. New owner David Garcelon.